Friday, April 24, 2009

Red velvety goodness

I do not like red velvet cake. I repeat. I DO NOT LIKE RED VELVET CAKE. Perhaps its the acidity due to the buttermilk, or the unnatural reddish hue? Or maybe because every time I've had it, it has failed to wow me. The cake too dense, the cream cheese frosting overwhelmingly sweet, whatever the reason, I usually don't order it. Bake it? Ha.

Today Victor treated me to sushi, so in return I decided to introduce him to one of my favorite local bakeries, Sugar Butter Flour. It was opened by Irit Ishai who worked at Fleur de Cocoa in Los Gatos and alongside David Kinch at Manresa. Originally baking out of Mission College, SBF now has two locations in Sunnyvale and Campbell. Lucky us! Victor decided to get the red velvet cupcake, I got the marble cupcake, and convinced him to go share. Since we all know, sharing is caring.

I bit into the red velvet cupcake and instantly regretted getting the marble cupcake. Mind you, I didn't even try that one yet. The crumb on the red velvet was perfect light, fluffy, and everything you would dream of in a cupcake. Or at least what I would dream of. It wasn't too acidic either. The cream cheese frosting was satiny smooth and not heavy at all, as if they whipped a lot of whipping cream into it. They also sprinkled some crushed walnuts on top, which added a nice contrast in texture. Wow. All I can say is... Wow. I think this cupcake has changed my opinion about red velvet. Well, then again, Sugar Butter Flour never disappoints.

I can't post a picture of the cupcake, but here's the link on their website: Linky

Sugar Butter Flour
669 S. Bernardo Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Tel: 408 732 8597

5 comments:

x said...

Oooh, I'm such a red velvet girl. On cupcakes I go back and forth between red velvet and vanilla. Every time I think I've picked a side I go back to the other.

Vanilla is such an underrated flavor.

D said...

I'm a chocolate girl all the way. Chocolate on chocolate with more chocolate filled with chocolate! Victor was giving me a hard time,"Do you need to deconstruct EVERYTHING you eat!?!?"

Mizz B said...

red velvet is the only cupcake i ever get. it's my all time favorite cake EVER! i'm glad u're finally convinced! :D

nick said...

How do their cupcakes compare to Kara's or Sprinkles?

D said...

Karas.. just didn't wow me. And I can't stomach Sprinkles cupcakes.. they're just crazy dense and rather flavorless.