Monday, April 13, 2009

Lemon pound cake... deja vu?

Today the family was gathering at my brothers house for dinner, and of course I had to bring dessert. I had another go at the buttery Elvis Presley pound cake that I made last week. This time I added freshly squeezed lemon juice, lemon extract, and lemon zest to the batter and the frosting. It ended up being a little bit more moist than the previous one. I think the glaze prevented the cake from drying out. The lemon flavor was refreshing and helped to break up the monotony of the buttery flavors I've been tasting all week in my pastries.





I know that originally pound cake got it's name because the recipe is supposed to have a pound of butter, a pound of flour, a pound of sugar, etc. It seems more likely that its because you'll gain a pound for each slice you consume. This might explain why Elvis was portly later in life.

According to Wikipedia there are apparently five styles of pound cake? Who knew!





1 comment:

Justin said...

lemon poundcake... I know I have a good recipe for this somewhere. Now I'm craving it.