Sunday, April 5, 2009

No loafing matter

There's nothing quite like bread baking to make you feel all domestic, but unfortunately most people would rather buy their bread at the grocery store, farmers market, etc than try their hand at shaping a loaf. I must admit, bread baking is one of those things I haven't quite gotten down. It could be a lack of skill, but I'd rather blame it on the countless variables that I don't have too much control over: yeast, humidity, temperature, steam (or lack thereof), etc.





I came across a recipe for No-knead bread a couple years ago in the NY Times. I've actually tried a baguette recipe where you let the dough sit in the fridge overnight, so the technique used here wasn't too foreign. Let dough sit. Let dough sit some more. Poke, prod, shape, and sit again. Throw in a pot. Bake.

Yes I know... who the heck bakes bread in a pot?! I was a little apprehensive, but I figure if its published in the NY Times, its worth a try. Yesterday I mixed up my dough and let it sit on the counter top overnight. It sat next to some defrosting croissants I was planning on having for brunch, so it wasn't lonely. Maybe a bit insecure? Well whatever the reason, it didn't rise to the occasion as much as I had hoped.

So what do you do when life gives you lemons? Squirt the juice in someone else's eye. In my case, find a more hospitable place for my hungry yeast. As I pondered what to do, I looked outside. It was a sunny day. A warm sunny day. Hmmm... black car. Problem solved.


I'm quite pleased to say that I drove to the mall with my little bun destined for the oven. Too bad I don't have a car seat. Though I attempted some retail therapy, it failed and I had instantaneous buyer's remorse. Its a good thing baking always cheers me up. Though the loaf could have risen a bit more, I'm quite pleased with the results.


Theres nothing quite like a warm piece of bread slathered with Pascal Beillevaire raw milk salted butter smuggled from Paris. Mmm-mmm-tastic.

Today was a good day. I even found a solution to one of my many short-comings!


No comments: