Friday, April 10, 2009

Chocolate chunk cookies

Inspired yet again by Pim, I decided to try out a chocolate chip cookie recipe featured in the New York Times. Similar to the no-knead bread recipe, this cookie dough required sitting. 36 hours to be exact.




Well to be honest, I've had a lot of time on my hands lately, especially when it comes to baking. In addition to the curious wait time, the recipe also calls for sea salt sprinkled on top and chocolate fèves (disks). I had a big block of Guittard bittersweet chocolate on hand, so I decided to chop that up to do the job.



The cookies were well worth the wait. I guess a couple of the things I've made lately reflect how I'm intrigued by the complementary relationship between salt and sugar. Similar to the salted butter honey caramels, there was an even balance between the sea salt, bitterness of the chocolate, and the caramelized sugar. They're definitely not your standard chocolate chip cookie, but I have a feeling I'll be making these again.


1 comment: