Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pain perdu & moules frites

French toast aka pain perdu, as with French fries, isn't necessarily French, but it's unarguably tasty. Though traditionally made with day old brioche, I've found that it's even better if you use a day old buttery croissant. The sous-chef at work also advised me to toast the brioche/croissant first so its sure to soak up extra egg and milk batter, and thus allowing you to 'reclaim' the 'lost' bread. Unfortunately I was out of croissants this past weekend, so brioche had to suffice. I like my pain perdu with cinnamon, a sprinkling of powdered sugar, and maple syrup.




One of my new year's resolutions was to prepare more seafood. It's tough, when I'm tired at the end of the day, to try to think up something to cook and usually seafood isn't my first option. Lately I've been craving some mussels and what better a way to serve it than how they do in Belgium with shallots, onions, white wine and of course, a plate of frites.


Plus these suckers cook up in less than 10 minutes. What I'm really craving are some bigorneau or periwinkle, which are sea snails I had in Marseilles. Apparently they're really high in protein and low in fat. However they're quite tiny.. so to get full off of them you'll have to commit bigorneau massacre.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi D
Wonderful blog. I am planning to apply for 2011. Thanks for posting your experiences for people like us :)
-P

Nancy said...

Yumm, using croissants for pain perdu, I never thought of that.

I've also eaten moules et frites in Paris and love those. However, when cooking at home, I make pasta with them instead. Less calories, hopefully?

Anonymous said...

Now I'm hungry. Great photos!

D said...

Pia - Feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding the pastry program at Ferrandi.

Nancy - I agree pasta with mussels is great but its just not the same without fries!! :)

diannadesigns - Thanks for stopping by! Glad you're enjoying the pics.