Thursday, March 11, 2010

3 stars

So today is officially longest day known to man. And no, I'm not talking about solstices or whatnot, and no, no falling down stairs, but as I'm writing in the present tense, naturally I'm in the middle of my work day. Also, since I didn't get to bed past 1 AM last night, I apologize in advance if this post is riddled with spelling and gramatical mistakes.

Working gastro service is hard. Really hard. And what do you get when you work at ADPA? Thursdays and Fridays with two restaurant services. That means the patissiers and cuisiners start around 9AM and work well past midnight. That also means this lowly staigaire also has to work those hours. Oh how I miss the central patisserie. Leaving around 5:30/6 sounds like a dream! We do get a mini break during the day (hence how I'm able to write this post since 1) I don't have a smartphone and 2) it wouldn't be wise to be writing a post while in the lab). Needless to say, I hold all of you who work in gastronomical restaurants in high regard. When it comes to these hours, I'll have to relinquish my paper toque.

Yesterday the gastros celebrated retaining ADPA's three Michelin stars. Lucky me, I got to see Mr. AD himself, and sip on a flute of Dom Perignon. Though that lasted about five minutes before I had to run back into the pastry lab. Well, I need to survive through one more service and then its a three day weekend for me.

Oh and on a positive note I did make friends with the ADPA head pastry chef. I think we bonded over stories of falling down stairs as he insisted I take the elevator from now on and even offered to help me find a stage after this one is finished. But more on that later...

No comments: