Monday, March 8, 2010

First service at ADPA

So I've always been curious why the French are so obsessed with spiral staircases. After asking someone, the reason is that they don't take up a lot of space, and real estate in Paris is quite pricey.

Well in my opinion, it's not wise to have anything of spiraling nature in a kitchen where there's grease and water. So, I guess you can imagine how I started my day working with the gastro patisserie chefs of ADPA. Yup. I fell down the stairs. Not once, people... twice. Yes, I'm just THAT challenged when it comes to walking down stairs properly.

Overall it was a long day; noon til midnight with just a 20 minute pause. I only got yelled at by the chef a couple times, but its worth it to see the things that are plated up. We made a couple wild strawberry desserts, a vacharin, baba, chocolate cake, a citrus tart, some other ice cream dessert, as well as a bunch of mignardises, chocolates, caramels, and marshmallows. Its a lot of work, but I'm glad (though sore) that I can see what goes on in the gastro kitchen. At least now I know why I never see the gastro patisserie chefs making anything - there's a separate small pastry lab located in the main gastro kitchen.

Hopefully today I'll get the hang of things, and at least not fall down the stairs again.

No comments: