Monday, January 25, 2010

Normandy Day 3

On our last day in Normandy, we started out by visiting a small family owned and operated cider distillery. Here they bottle their own cider, cider based products, and calvados (apple) liquor. I'm not a big fan of calvados, but did manage to bring home a bottle of their demi-sec cidre.



We went tromping around in the mud and up and down sand dunes. It was freaking cold, but the scenery was worth freezing my toes off.




For lunch, we dined at what I can at best describe as an Asian fusion restaurant. They had an array of things on the menu including, curries, tempura, nems (eggrolls), thai soup, etc.




I'm not a big fan of any fusion cusine, but I guess in this part of the world people don't differentiate Asian cusine much. For example, I've realized that all eggrolls are called 'Nems' in France. Nem is ground pickled pork (as in nem chua), in Vietnamese cusine. Also, all Asian restaurants seem to serve shrimp chips, which are invariably Southeast Asian. To see shrimp chips served in a Chinese/Vietnamse/Korean fusion restaurant is a bit weird.

On the whole, the class trip to Normandy was really fun, but tiring. Sadly a few of my classmates got food poisoning from... dessert 'Nems' they ordered for lunch. Now that I've got Normandy, Paris, Provence, and the Cote d'Azur down, I still have a lot of France to explore, including Brittany, Bordeaux, and Burgundy to start.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your "field trip" experience. You are missed here in MTV but, I'm so happy for you to have had this great opportunity!

Keep blogging,
Anne G...Your Sym crocheting pal!

D said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Anne! I'm still knitting and crocheting, though I've definitely slowed down with school and everything. Hope all is well in MTV (I'm sure its at least warmer than here.. -3Celsius)!