Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Rungis visit

WARNING: This post is not for the faint of heart or squeamish. Be advised that the following includes pictures of dead animals. LOTS of dead animals. You have been warned!

Yesterday morning I found myself waking up early. Really early. 3:30AM early. Why you ask? One word: Rungis. Rungis is the largest wholesale food market in the world. Supposedly if Rungis closed, all of Paris would be devoid of fresh food within 36 hours. Its quite amazing and impressive.

We first hit up the fish hall. It was freezing, but well worth the visit. There were stacks and stacks of Styrofoam containers housing all sorts of seafood on ice.









Next we visited the hall with poultry and various game. They leave some of the feathers on the turkeys and pheasants for marketing purposes.







We moved on to the meat hall, which by far was my absolute favorite. I guess I must have a strong stomach, as some of my classmates were a bit turned off, but I ran around with quite a bit of enthusiasm. Sure, some might say meat is murder, but I say meat IS murder... tasty tasty murder and I couldn't help but think of all the lovely things I could cook!













Next we visited the cheese, produce, and flower halls, which weren't as exciting, though still impressive to see.









Pretty flowers! No dahlias though. I guess they're not in season?







I hope a French person can explain to me what's with the obsession with flocked Christmas trees. I understand flocking makes it look like there's snow. But seriously, pink, blue, and yellow flock-age? I don't get it.

1 comment:

Joan P. said...

Who gets squeemish ? Whatta bunch of pussies !!!


hahahaha kidding.

It's the circle of life!

I swear, every dead cochon de lait I see from France is SMILING. All the ones in the US look miserable. I guess it's cuz the lil piggies get a day of relaxation before they are electricuted.