Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas cakes

This past week marked the last week of class before winter break. I really can't believe that there are only 3 more weeks of class. It's amazing how time really flies. Sometimes I wish the program was 10 months instead of 5, but I feel like we're usually on overdrive mode to cram as much in as possible.

With the holidays upon us, we made a few holiday cakes including a buche noel and holiday wreaths. Though I can't say I'm a fan of the marzipan pine cones, they turned out very pretty.







I really liked one buche we made that was a bit more modern looking. The cake was comprised of chocolate genoise/jaconde, layers of dark and milk parfait, raspberries, and a chocolate glaze. We even used chocolate with transfer sheets for decor.





This week we also had restaurant service. Though the menu was fairly simple, most desserts were plated hot to order, making service a bit hectic, but still fun! We made pain perdu, tiramisu in a biscuit, creme brulee wrapped in filo dough, and crepe souffle, and fruit squares.










No comments: