Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dulce de leche filled cupcakes with chocolate frosting

Yesterday I made some dulce de leche filled cupcakes with chocolate frosting.


Digging around in my fridge I found some dulce de leche I made a while ago. Dulce de leche is a milk based sauce prepared by slowly caramelizing sweetened milk. It has the consistency of condensed milk but with the color and rich flavor of caramel. Dulce de leche is also known as doce de leite in Portuguese and confiture de lait in French.




The dulce de leche recipe I used was from David Lebovitz's blog and also found in his ice cream book titled, The Perfect Scoop. It seemed far easier to make dulce de leche out of condensed milk, rather than boiling down a whole gallon of milk and several cups of sugar.

I decided to fill some cupcakes with the dulce de leche, but wasn't so sure about the frosting. A butter cream would be far too sweet, so I opted for chocolate frosting, since I love anything that combines chocolate and caramel. To cut the sweetness, I sprinkled the cupcakes with some coarse sea salt.

Cupcake Recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line or grease 12 muffin tins. Combine the dry ingredients. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy in a separate bowl. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Alternately beat in the flour mixture and the milk. Bake until tops of cupcakes are springy, about 20 minutes. This recipe makes exactly 12 cupcakes, meaning you'll have to scrape the bowl down for the last one!





To fill the cupcakes, I use a paring knife and cut out a cone, as if coring. Some of the cupcake is removed to create space for the filling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you say about adding the milk, but it's not listed in the ingredient list. How much milk do we nedd? 10x

D said...

Sorry! I'll update it :)