Sunday, May 10, 2009

The sharper your knife...

For mothers day I baked a cheesecake and a pound cake drizzled with chocolate. I think I've just been mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted lately, and its taking its toll. While baking the cheesecake, I fell asleep and it overcooked. The pound cake ended up having a muffin-like consistency. Perhaps it was the new cake flour I'm using? Not sure. Nevertheless, I was 0 for 2 this mother's day weekend, so no pictures I'm proud enough to share.

I'm reading "The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry" loaned to me by a coworker. Its the tale of a corporate exec who loses her job and pursues the culinary program at Le Cordon Bleu. Seems so familiar. ;)

Anyways, the author recounts how a chef there told her that people are like bread. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and its true. Bread comes in different flavors, shapes, and sizes. Like bread, often times we need to be punched down. We need to be kneaded/needed. Some of us harbor a thick crusty exterior protecting the soft interior. Sometimes we need to be coaxed along, and other times we need to be left alone. However, like bread we all need warmth to rise.

No comments: