Monday, May 11, 2009

Mu shu for one

I feel a bit bad about not posting pictures of my weekend mishaps. Bloggers remorse? Though this post doesn't quite fit under the sweet treat category, I hope it makes up for it.

So I have portion control problems. No, I don't mean I heap copious amounts of food on my plate and proceed to shovel it into my mouth heathen-style. I can't seem to cook for one. I can only cook for a family of six. Perhaps its the genealogy? Asians do have a tendency to host events revolving around food. I have childhood memories of family get-togethers where, even if you're stuffed to full capacity, there's always an auntie shoveling more food on your plate.

When it comes to feeding myself, I don't care to cook. I live to feed. I'm sure it can be psychoanalyzed as acceptance issues tracing back to my mother (isn't everything?) for whatever reason. I'm content with a quesadilla, a quick sandwich, a salad thrown together on a whim. I only put in the effort when I have company.

Or at least I used to. I've slowly learned to cook for one. Well okay, I lie. I still have portion issues, but that's what freezers are for right?

Tonight I developed a new strategy after pacing the kitchen staring down a pound package of chicken tenders. Well, a pound of chicken and one dish, and I'd be eating the same leftovers for six days. Tempting... really. I decided to use half of it to make some mu shu chicken with some homemade pancakes, and used the rest in a chicken tortilla soup (without the tortilla). It wasn't that much extra work since I used some of the same veggies. At least both dishes satiate my food attention deficit disorder.

Mu Shu Chicken:



Chicken Tortilla Soup:


No comments: