Sunday, August 1, 2010

Beet chocolate cake

Since I mentioned having tried a recipe for chocolate cake with beets in it to one of the chef-de-partie at work, he hasn't forgotten and has asked me when I'm going to bring it into the lab. I don't remember where the original recipe I found was from, but this time I used this Beet Bundt Cake recipe.



I'm fond of trying out recipes that have unexpected ingredients in them, or trying to find healthier substitutes (though quite often you can't).  I've made chocolate zucchini cake from Clotilde Dusoulier's Chocolate and Zucchini book and have been able to fool people into thinking its just plain chocolate cake.

Unfortunately I don't think I chopped up my beets enough (the recipe calls for puree) and you can still see them in the cake. I hope that it won't turn people off from trying it. Though I'd like to say that adding beets made the cake more nutritious, similar to carrot cake, there was still a lot of sugar and butter in the recipe. However, the beets did lend some more sweetness and moisture to the cakes.

1 comment:

Postcard Friend said...

this looks really good : P