Friday, August 13, 2010

Things from my last week of work

My last week of work, I decided to bring in my camera and start snapping up pictures of the glorious overpriced stuff/crap we make. I figured if anyone wanted to yell at me, I'd be out of there in a week anyways.

Every morning we assemble an array of small cakes, bigger cakes, chocolate mousse, and mignardises. If we're lucky there are only about 200 mignardises to make. On a bad day sometimes 1200.






Our 'petit gateau' sell for about 16 euros and we make a variety including a peanut chocolate cake with chocolate chantilly and caramel filling, a kumbawa lime flavored confection dipped in chocolate glaze atop a sweet dough ring with lime chantilly, a salted butter caramel religieuse, a yuzu flavored layer cake, a strawberry bavarois dome atop a financier filled with strawberries, and a lychee flavored dome atop financier with red flocked lychee chantilly.






Also for tea time we make a millefeuille, a strawberry pistachio tart, and an assortment of cakes, cookies, and chocolate dipped waffles.




In July, one of the restaurants (Relais) closes and we make half as many desserts. Usually there are a few other larger cakes. However, for summer we've been making this weird version of a vacherin. Classic vacherins are cakes of icecream served in a shell of meringue. At Plaza our version was a ball of lychee strawberry ice cream dipped in rose flavored whipped cream. Before the cream sets, small meringues are painstakingly added one by one. On a normal day we make about 20 of these atrocities.

6 comments:

Dee said...

Hi Diana,
I've really enjoyed going back and reading each of your blog posts. Would it be possible to email you a few questions about Ferrandi?

Chelsea said...

Wow, all those desserts look so amazing. I want to eat them, but I also just want to look at them.

D said...

Chelsea - Thanks! I can't say that I single-handedly made all of them, but at least some part of each! Thanks for visiting :)

Dee - Sure no problem! I'm happy to answer any Ferrandi questions. Email me at dianatpham(at)gmail(dot)com.

NinjaSaphira said...

they look so good! yumm

Anonymous said...

what is that flower shaped dessert??the 9th pic,red colored and rose shaped...

D said...

The dessert was called 'red power' and it was a strawberry bavarois dome atop a financier filled with strawberries, and then topped with chantilly cream that was sprayed red.