Sunday, August 16, 2009

It's heating up

Today temperatures peaked in Paris. 32(?) degrees Celsius, though I'm not exactly sure what that means in Fahrenheit... and quite frankly I'm too lazy do the conversion. It just sounds hot.

However before I get to the heat... and fire, yesterday my dad and I had a pleasant dinner close to Jardin des Tuileries. We feasted on escargot, foie gras, lapin (rabbit), agneau (lamb), pots de creme, and this weird minestrone des fruits. Pretty much fruit soup.



I particularly enjoyed the pots de creme. One was chocolate, and the other was marscapone with a mango puree. Yummtastic!



Well anyways, today we had lunch with my cousin and aunt, and had wonton noodle soup at this Chinese restaurant in the 15th. Oddly the kitchen is underneath the restaurant, which leaves a lot to the imagination when it comes to cleanliness. Afterward we decided to go for a walk and get some dessert at Bercy Village. My cousin picked out a nice restaurant with an open kitchen. Nothing dubious so far.

We sat down and ordered four orders of various ice cream desserts. After about 10 minutes, we heard a loud boom followed by a large plume of flames coming out the kitchen (right where we were sitting). Not even a second later a man in a cooks jacket runs out and he's on fire. YES FIRE. To make a long story short, it appeared to be a gas explosion that then probably ignited some stale grease in their ventilation system, setting the entire roof on fire. So much for a nice open kitchen and our ice cream.



Well, we eventually left blazing Bercy Village and made our way via TGV down to Avignon. One thing I love about french dining. Steak served with Fries and the waitstaff never bugs you with the obligatory "so how are we doing here??"



And here's just a quick picture I snapped of a carousel close to the Palais des Papes down the main street in Avignon.

No comments: