Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Eating through the Big Apple: Day 2


I do realize it has been almost a month since my last post. Trust me, I think about this every day. Okay maybe every other day, or at the least a couple times a week. I'd like to think its because I'm still digesting from my week of gluttony overload in NYC. I have recovered though. My second day in the Big Apple, my lovely friend and I dined at Public, a Michelin one star restaurant.




Public is located in NoLita, and for those of you not too familiar with NYC, that's somewhere between NYU and Katz's Deli. I really enjoyed their menu and decor; what restaurant has a library card catalog in the foyer?


They served three breads, a sourdough, a foccacia with capers or olives,  and well the third, I didn't ask for. Look at the big gas bubble in that sourdough. Yeasty!


For a starter, I chose the grilled kangaroo on coriander falafel with a lemon tahini sauce and green pepper relish. Yep, that's right... kangaroo! Another animal to add to my list of devoured delicacies. The kangaroo was a bit rare, and as most of you know my motto is 'the redder the better'. I would say it tasted like a cross between venison and rabbit.


For my main course, I had the snail and oxtail ravioli with pickled shiitake mushrooms, oven dried tomatoes, pea shoots, and smoked paprika oil. I like snails and I like oxtail, so I figured the combination would probably be tasty. I didn't taste too much of the shiitake mushrooms, and felt that the dish could have been salted more. The pea shoots were nicely blanched and still had a bit of crunch.



My friend decided to opt out of a heavy meal and ordered crispy Brussels sprouts with lemon miso sauce and Aleppo pepper and the sticky toffee pudding with Armagnac ice cream and hot caramel sauce. Don't argue with a woman if all she wants is a side and dessert.  I didn't try the pudding, it looked a little too ooey and gooey floating in a pool of sauce.


Instead, my dessert calories were allocated to a fig bellini. A little bubbly makes any meal better (and a walk to the subway more fun)!


210 Elizabeth Street
New York, NY 10012
Tel: 212 343 7011

No comments: