Sunday, November 20, 2011

Eating through the Big Apple: Day 1

In desperate need of a break from the Bay, I thought it would be a good idea to pay a visit to one of my friends from pastry school. Another friend had asked me what I planned to do while in NYC, if there were any particular sights I wanted to take in or shows I wanted to see. My response? I go to NYC to eat. And eat I did!





On my first evening, we noshed at The Spotted Pig, a one Michelin star gastropub in the West Village. Apparently a hub for celebrities (though I didn't see any on the night I went), this place was bustling with people and the wait was upwards of an hour for two people. The executive chef, April Bloomfield is of English origin and worked at Berkeley's Chez Panisse.



Though a lot of people were ordering burgers, I decided to keep it light with oysters, chicken liver toasts, and shared an overflowing plate of shoestring fries with my friend.



My friend, a vegetarian, ordered their roasted vegetable platter. She seemed quite pleased with the perfectly roasted brussels sprouts, but we both were a bit smitten with the fries. Wouldn't you be too? Not to worry though, being in Manhattan, we were able to walk off a lot of those fries on our way back to the subway.


The Spotted Pig
314 West 11th Street
New York, NY 10014-2369

Tel: 212 620 0393

No comments: