Sunday, January 15, 2012

Eating through the Big Apple: Day 3

So technically, I've long forgotten how many days it took me to eat however many animals as I was gallivanting through NYC. I do recall one day walking through Brooklyn and thinking, "Wow! There are actually seasons here!" We are quite spoiled with our weather here in California, but sometimes I think it would be nice to actually see the leaves change.





Though I've been to NYC a few times now, I still haven't visited in the winter. November was still chilly enough to want to rush inside a nice restaurant to enjoy brunch with friends. I don't remember the name of the cafe, but they had pretty cool light fixtures.



Oh, and the eggs benedict wasn't bad either. I think I prefer them served with fries instead of hash browns. Being the gastro-genius that I am, I used the fries to poke at the egg and sop up any ooey gooey yolk and hollandaise sauce!



That evening, we decided to check out a very popular high-brow-ish pizzeria called Motorino. It's more upscale than your normal pizzeria and there was a line out the door for this tiny East Village joint. The wait was about 45 minutes, so we decided to pop into the gastropub next door for a drink.



A look at their menu, the personal pizzas are about $15+, which in my opinion is a bit pricey for a pie, but alas, its New York. I opted for the crimini mushroom and sausage pizza. 



We also ordered what seriously is the perfect pizza wine. In fact, they even label it as such on the menu! Thank goodness for my high mega-pixel camera or else I would have never remembered the name: Gragnano, Cantine Federiciane, from Naples, Italy. It was slightly sweet and semi-sparkling. Yum!



My crimini mushroom and sausage pizza was tasty. Usually I'm not a fan of pizza crust, but take one look at their homemade crust and its perfectly crispy. I just wished there was some sauce to dip it in. As you can see, it was a tight squeeze at our tiny table (with my pizza hanging off the edge), but definitely worth the wait.



349 East 12th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: 212 777 2644

No comments: