Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Too hot to bake

With the highs in the 90's today, it definitely made for a sweltering first day of summer. On a technical note, it isn't quite the first day of summer... but rather mid-summer i.e. summer solstice. I don't mean to get all nit-picky about it, but it just really irks me that people seem to think it's the FIRST day of the summer, rather than the day that we're actually the closest to the sun, which should technically be the middle of summer, no? I guess my collegiate astronomy classes paid off.





In any case, it's waaaaaaay too hot too bake. Really peoples, I know you love your pastries and all, but yours truly is NOT going to be fishing cookies and cakes out of a 350 degree oven when it's this hot outside. I really don't care to have my already melting face burned off. Plus I've been banned from baking today and heating up the house; without central AC it's a much needed hiatus.


So what do I do when it gets really hot? I say ya'll have to fend for yourselves and I'm off to make myself a hedonistic treat. Years ago after watching the movie Serendipity, I knew I had to pop into Serendipity 3 when I visited New York City to try their oh-so-famous frrrozen hot chocolate. Yes, I am quite the hopeless romantic (deep deep down under the cynical façade). Their crazy good frozen chocolate treat can easily supplement a meal. Or at least it should considering how calorie laden it is. Well, luckily for me, one of my favorite food bloggers, David Lebovitz decided to post a recipe of his rendition of this yummy drink.


The recipe requires mixing cocoa with milk over the stove, pouring that goodness over chocolate to melt it, cooling the mixture and then blending it all with some yummy ice cream and ice. Overall it's a bit lighter than a milkshake, but still very rich. Who am I kidding though? In this apocalyptic heat, I'm way too lazy to throw stuff in a blender (I made this drink a couple weekends ago)! I've settled for a double caramel magnum ice cream bar, which in itself could be whole other post.

No comments: