Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Black bottom cupcake fail

Every now and then I'll dig through my baking books and look for something new to try. One book I brought back from France was David Lebovitz's The Great Book of Chocolate. Funny story about this book, actually. I went to one of David's book signing events out of a 'boite bouquiniste" along the Seine. For those of you who aren't familiar with Paris, these are the little book kiosks along the river where sometimes you can find some out-of-print special edition, and other times just random trinkets and souvenirs. I didn't have enough Euros on me at the moment to pay for the book, so he kindly let me pay the difference in metro tickets.





Any chocolate lover will pick up this book. Any chocolate enthusiast will pick up Mort Rosenblum's Chocolate: A Bittersweet Saga of Dark and Light. Any chocolate-crazed person with a few thousand to burn will check out the Paris chocolate tour hosted by these two chocolate aficionados. Me? I'll stick to picking out a recipe to try. I decided to make David's black bottom cupcakes. Black bottom cupcakes are chocolate cupcakes with a cream cheese filling. You're supposed to fill a cupcake pan with the chocolate cake batter, and then put a dollop of the cream cheese mixture on top, which in theory should sink and make a nice filling.

I followed the recipe exactly. I'm not one to cut corners or take liberties when it comes to baking, since it is an exacting science. Mr. Lebovitz says to fill the cupcakes to the top. This was a bit disconcerting, as I figured the cake/filling would rise and it would end up oozing everywhere all over my cupcake pan. As a devout follower, I mustered on, filling my pan. In face he states, "This will fill the cups almost completely, which is fine." No sirree. It was not fine. Not at all. Not by a long shot. Maybe I overfilled them, but I could have sworn the pan was 'almost' full.



I won't show you what they're supposed to look like because, heck, that's just depressing. They ended up looking like chocolate cupcakes with some sickly muffin top/frosting thing on top. Black bottom cupcakes = FAIL.

No comments: