Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pretty pastries

The other day someone asked me if I'd rather make pastries that looked good versus pastries that tasted good. I was a bit baffled. Why do you have to choose? I don't think having desserts that taste and look good are mutually exclusive. Can't you have your pretty cakes and eat them too?



The way I see it, desserts have to be visually appealing for you to want to eat them, and they have to taste good for you to be a returning customer. Plus compromising was never one of my strong points.


When I was in pastry school, we had to take art classes to learn the aesthetics of food. Food is like art, meant to be appreciated. Desserts, in my opinion, require a bit more finesse and detail, though some culinary students will argue against that. But seriously, make a sugar or chocolate sculpture, and then we'll talk about finesse and detail. We learned the importance of balance, the use of color, focal points, and the ever-so-important rule that things in odd numbers are always more visually appealing. That's why when I make my tried and true marzipan roses, there are never two, nor four, but three roses.


Along with the fruit charlotte above, the other day I made some pastillage (sugar paste) just to play with. I made a quick-drying recipe that was actually really tricky to work with. The pastillage dried out far too quickly for my liking and cracked a bit. Sadly since I don't have an airbrush kit (hint hint peoples), I resorted to painting them with a mixture of alcohol and coloring. It's a bit like painting with watercolors. Not too shabby for just messing around in the kitchen.

2 comments:

May said...

Your desserts look great! And I'm sure they taste delicious too :)

I noticed that your recipes are measured in g, do you convert your recipes measurements, or use a scale?

D said...

Hi May,

Thanks for visiting! I use a scale and measure everything in grams. It's the only way to accurately bake since a cup of flour volume wise can vary depending on how long its been sitting etc.