Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pupusas and Plantains

Need I say more? One of my girlfriends has been going on and on about this Pupuseria in Campbell that she always visits every time she's in the South Bay. The other day I decided to stop by to check out this joint.


Pupusas are a Salvadoran specialty. They're thick, hand-made corn tortillas filled with an array of goodies (depending on your preference), including cheese, ground pork, beans, etc. These delicious Salvadoran pancakes are served with a tangy and sweet coleslaw called curtido.

I decided to order their most popular pupusa, the chicharron, filled with pork and cheese. While eying the menu I also spied fried plantains. I can easily eat a whole order of these by myself. The pupusa was hot and slightly crispy and the plantains were perfect: hot, caramelized bliss! Needless to say, I'll be headed back here soon.

Pupuseria Los Dubon
1546 Camden Ave
Campbell, CA 95008
408.626.7896

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

I love plantains so much and there is not good place to get them near me. These look so good.

marypoe said...

Okay that's it. We're going together as S says she doesn't like it now that the old lady that made the hand made tortillas is no longer there.

Jackie said...

Wow! That looks really good. When I visited El Salvador a few years back I feel in love with pupusas! I wish I could find them where I live.

sumo said...

is that girlfriend me??? or you you have another papusa-obsessed friend that i need to meet? -suman

D said...

Hahha yes it is you Suman. Mary says you think the place has gone downhill since the little old grandma isn't making it anymore. You'll have to check it out next time you're around here and let me know!

chrubuky said...

I have seen these on menus at the local Taqueria but never ventured to try them. I'll give the plantains a miss but I'll definitely go for the pupusa's next time.