Friday, May 28, 2010

Ready to pop a CAP up your....

Okay no. I haven't gotten all Parisian gangster on you. The fact of the matter is that I'm cramming and practicing for my CAP exams. That's "say-ah-pay" or Certificat d'Aptitude Professionnelle for the French. It's pretty much like a vocational GED and will make it easier if I intend on trying to find a baking job out here (which I'm still on the fence about).

What I didn't realize when I signed up, is that its about 14 hours of testing including subjects like French, science, math, 'professional and social life' (whatever the heck that is), gestion of stocks (pretty much pastry theory), and a 7 hour baking exam. Oh, not to mention I have to prepare two essays for history and geography with references. Yes that's two essays in French, that I'll have to talk about/defend in French. Seems a bit masochistic.

Anyways, to prep for the exam, I've also been baking. I made a rustic tart the other day.






I also made a Fraisier, which is a layered cake with genoise soaked in kirsch syrup, strawberries, pastry cream, and a layer of marzipan and marzipan garnishes for fun. I didn't have any acetate so it wasn't as pretty as it should have been.


4 comments:

Justin said...

if that's just your practice stuff, it looks pretty amazing

D said...

Thanks! Hopefully the evaluators feel the same. :)

W.C.Camp said...

Wow you do nice work. I doubt that you have much to worry about except for maybe your FRENCH???

Anyway, my only thought was instead of Marzipan, I thought your strawberry cake would look even more impressive with a light pink fondant? Anyway good luck on your exam. W.C.C.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the hardest test you may ever take in your life. You must be loving it.

Right?!