Thursday, April 29, 2010

In Bruges

You would think that being in Paris would allow me to travel every single weekend around Europe, or at least a different part of France to experience all that it has to offer, but most of the time I'm just tired. The stage is pretty draining, and when I'm not working, I'm trying to recuperate from the previous week.

Fear not, I do get out every now and then and was lucky enough to be invited on a trip to Bruges, Belgium. Now most of you will say, "Bruges?! Where the heck is that?!". Thats what I thought too. Apparently Bruges is this really beautiful medieval city deemed the "Venice of the North" with its array of canals. Plus its the chocolate capital of the world. Chocolate, waffles, fries, mussels, beer... need I say more?




I have to admit though, that the Belgian waffle I had wasn't really that great. It was a bit undercooked in the middle. Part of me (the part that makes 4 dozen waffles every other week at work) wanted to jump behind the counter and show the guy how to make waffles.

Though the waffle was a let down, the sites definitely were not. Bruges is very pretty. And if there wasn't enough to see, there was plenty to eat! Bruges also boasts a few dozen chocolate shops, though I didn't have a chance to go into more than 5.






If you're ever visiting Belgium, I highly recommend a visit to Bruges. Along with the good eats, and historical architecture, it's a great little city to walk around for a few days. And if you can't make it all the way out to Europe, you can always watch the movie In Bruges. Its a bit dark and violent, but does capture the pretty sites of the city.

3 comments:

mughound said...

Hi Diana. Can I ask you questions about Ferrandi? Can i get your email or can you email me savvysearch @ yahoo.com

D said...

Hi David,

Feel free to email me at dianatpham(at)gmail(dot)com. I'll be happy to answer any Ferrandi related questions!

Justin said...

i thought maybe Bruges wasn't a real place, since there was that movie based there. but it sounds like the kind of place i would definitely enjoy visiting.