Sunday, October 18, 2009

Restaurant encore

Last Wednesday marked the second night of restaurant service. Once again I got to do pre-desserts. The pre-desserts were mont blanc and a dessert in a glass. However, we didn't have glasses that were small enough and instead made a biscuit sandwich with basil lemon curd, strawberries, and strawberry jelly.








I really hate mont blanc with a passion. If I were on a desert island with nothing to eat but mont blanc, I'd probably grab some palm fronds and poke my eyes out and die of starvation. Well maybe not, but you get the idea. Mont blanc is essentially sugar, with more sugar, chestnuts, rum, and more sugar. The base is a meringue cup, which is filled with chantilly cream and then topped with a hazelnut cream spiked with rum. Its a diabetic's nightmare. After making 60 of these I was at wits end. I mean really, it looks like poop on top of a sugar cloud. Sometimes I really wonder what French people were thinking when they created some of these traditional desserts.



Also on the menu were chocolates, arlequin shortbread cookies, cheesy fruit squares a la Pierre Herme, and pain d'epice with citrus jelly (which I thought was pretty gross). And guess who got to burn themselves several times making the cookie/tuile garnish similar to last restaurant service? At least I'm getting pretty good at rolling blistering hot dough around a tube.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LMAO after readying your comment on Mont blanc. So,Diana...tell us how you really feel...lol