Monday, October 19, 2009

Moka, roulade, mont noir, and marzipan

Not surprisingly, I've been slacking on the posts. Please bear with me as I'm trying to write a post in the library with a French keyboard. Its almost as painful as a mont blanc, but I digress. So last week we worked on a moka cake, roulade, mont noir, and marzipan. I think my roses don't look half bad.




I'm a bit sick of coffee buttercream, and wasn't too excited about the moka cake. Unlike the black forest cake, my layers came out nice and spongy and I was able to cut the, into three slices.





It was a good exercise in piping and I think I finally got shells down... well sort of.





We also made a raspberry roulade. It looks really complicated, but for anyone who has made roll cakes or cinnamon rolls, its a piece of cake... literally...ha ha.





So after making 60 mont blancs on Wednesday for restaurant service, I was quite sick of chestnut cream and paste especially when mixed with rum. I haggled chef and he let me make a 'mont noir'. Instead of a heap of chestnut filling, the mont noir was filled with a small amount of chestnut, orange marmalade, and chocolate chantilly. Swapping chocolate for chestnut was a great idea.

No comments: