Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Airbrushing

To be frank, I don't have a lot of experience airbrushing cakes. When in school we dabbled a bit with it, primarily to paint these scary marzipan and chocolate clowns. Part of me wishes that we spent more time learning about the technique.

Lucky me, for Christmas I got this amaaaaaazing airbrush kit from my brother. It's the same brands they use on top cooking shows and on Food Network. 




It's small, quiet, and can produce enough PSI to pack a punch! I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it (for lack of space and things to airbrush that I would actually want to feed to people after). There's so many elements to consider when painting, such as over-spray and over-saturation, that it almost makes you appreciate those 'artists' at theme parks who will airbrush your name on a t-shirt in pink, purple and blue.

My first successful attempt was decorating some Super Bowl cookies. For the design, I made a template/stencil. 


The cookies took an entire day to make, as I had to use a 'flooding' technique for the royal icing. To flood a cookie, you first outline the cookie with the frosting.


Once the frosting has dried, you then fill in, or flood, the rest of the cookie. The initial frosting acts as a barrier and prevents the frosting from running or overflowing.


The cookies were a hit!


No comments: