Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Paris Je T'aime

The time has come, I guess. In 24 hours, yours truly will be on a plane back to California. Words can hardly express how I feel. Anxious, depressed, and wistfulness for a chapter of my life that feels like it's ending. I really enjoyed the year and a half I had in Paris. It was a life changing experience. It helped me lick my wounds, discover a new language and culture (and cusine!), as well as build life-long friendships that I hope to keep even though now I'll be thousands of miles away.


Though I've been across the ocean a ridiculous amount of times since I originally moved here for school, packing up my bags has been so difficult these last few days especially since I know I won't be using the return leg of my ticket. I've braved freezing winters, hot and humid summers, bustling metros, and my fair share of French administration. It's with a heavy heart that I say, until next time.


I really think of the 1995 Sabrina where she writes to her father:

This is my last letter from Paris, I may even be home before you get it. Don't worry about picking me up I'd like to surprise you. It's strange, it's gone by so fast, Gertrude Stein said America is my country and Paris is my hometown, I'll always feel that way about Paris. I want so much for you to know what it's meant to me. Across the street someone is playing La Vie En Rose. They do it for the tourists but I'm always surprised at how it moves me. It means seeing life through rose colored glasses. Only in Paris where the light is pink does that song make sense, but I'll have it in my pocket when I get home, and carry it with me wherever I go.

Unfortunately for me, its always been some off key accordionist in the metro playing La Vie En Rose or some cracked out version of a Yann Tiersen song. In any case, I know I'll be back. Nothing can keep this girl from salted butter caramels, fresh pain au chocolat, salted butter, and crepes. As Audrey Hepburn said in the 1954 version, "Paris is always a good idea." Word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Has it really been a year and a half? Where did it go? It's sobering how fast time passes by.

Thank you so much for documenting your your trip....your life....in France. I've very much enjoyed reading your adventures every week!

Mike