Sunday, February 6, 2011

Larnicol's Kouign Amann

After reading a post by David Lebovitz about a new bakery/confisierie/chocolatier in my neighborhood that specialized in kouign amann, or rather kouignettes, tiny ones, I knew I had to stop by and check it out. Kouign amann is a buttery cake that comes from the Brittany region of France. As we know Brittany and Normandy are known for their awesome salted butter. In fact, in Breton, the word kougin means cake and amann means butter. Yep it's one intense buttery, sugary cake.



The other day I stopped by Maison Georges Larnicol to check out their kouginettes. To my surprise they also had a large amount of chocolates, macarons, and caramels... yes salted-butter caramels.


Macarons are pretty common in Paris, but I'm always impressed by really good chocolate work. I hate working with chocolate and have learned to appreciate the art of working with a medium that is super finicky and messy. Of course I had to take a picture of Larnicol's baby grand filled with macarons.

Unlike any patisserie I've ever been to, Larnicol's kouignettes come in a wide variety of flavors. They include pistachio, apple, salted-butter, chocolate, apricot, rum-raisin, raspberry, and coconut. I picked up a salted-butter and an apple filled kouignette. The kouignettes were pretty tasty. However, they were just a bit too sticky for my liking. I like my kouign amann to be super caramelized and crusty. Georges Larnicol has recently opened up two shops in Paris. Definitely stop by and check out their new shops if you get a chance, and you might as well pick up a kouignette while you're at it.


Maison Georges Larnicol
14 Rue de Rivoli
75004 Paris
 and
132 Boulevard Saint-Germain
75006 Paris
Tel: 01 43 26 39 38

No comments: