Sunday, June 6, 2010

Holy moly mogador

Whats the heck is a mogador? Good question. Sounds like maybe something from Lord of the Rings? A quick google search says its either a cafe in the East Village of NYC, or an island off of Morocco that France tried to capture several times. Since it's also the name of a cake in my Fench school cookbook, I'm betting it  has more to do with the latter. However, the island's major exports are molasses and sugar, all I can really think of is that maybe this cake is super sweet? How about super deathly rich.



Okay, well I have to admit that partially it's my fault. Even though I'm currently in the business of baking, sometimes I get a little mixed up at the grocery store. You would too if you were confronted with choices like, "creme epaisse" or "creme legere" or "creme fraiche" or "creme fleurette". And all I needed was whipping cream. Well the base of this beast is a chocolate genoise cake soaked in raspberry syrup. On top is a whole lot of chocolate chantilly cream and raspberry glaze.

So playing french cream roulette in the dairy aisle, I decided to go with creme epaisse. Okay well turns out it's a thick cream and that's a bit similar to heavy cream isn't it? Turns out it was more like creme fraiche and it was really difficult to whip it up. Of course after attempting to whip half a kilo of cream, I wasn't about to give up. It thickened up a bit so I decided to add the melted chocolate anyways. The results? A dense ganache-like cake that should have been more like a mousse. At least I still got to practice the technique, even if my end product ended up being waaaay more rich and dense than it should have been.

2 comments:

My Little Chateau said...

Look so delic, please share the recipes with us!!! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

you want creme entiere liquide or creme fleurette