Friday, February 19, 2010

Rest for the weary

I calculated that even though I only work four days a week, I actually work more hours than my friends at Pierre Herme, though considerably less than those who are at gastro restaurants. Still, I'm quite happy (aside from the throbbing feet and skin allergy).



I've finished three weeks at Plaza. Its exhausting, but I'm getting used to it. I'm getting used to waking up and being in the kitchen before the crack of dawn. I'm getting used to cleaning the kitchen three times a day. I'm getting used to people talking very slowly to me and gesturing as if I'm mentally handicapped. I'm getting used to the hierarchy of the kitchen; there are always those who will pick on you just because they can (and probably because deep down their mother didn't love them and they're insecure about their height or other body part). I try to stay out of CM's way. I try not to drop, break, or spill anything. I keep telling myself, do your job, do it as efficiently as you can, try not to f-up and if you do, just stay silent as you're verbally reamed for it. To be honest, I expected a whole lot worse.

So its probably surprising that I still go home and cook dinner and, on my days off I still manage to bake. Yeah I'm just THAT crazy. Feeling a little homesick, or rather missing food from home, I whipped up some chocolate cupcakes and chocolate chip cookies.









No comments: