Saturday, November 7, 2009

Restaurant and molded desserts

Wednesday was another night of restaurant service. Aside from the chocolate work, I haven't been too excited about this week's desserts. The day before we quickly threw together some chocolates for service.




We tried another system of divvying up the pre-desserts, desserts, and mignardises. One group made some rice pudding with quince jelly thing, marmite lute which was an 'exotic fruit' soup covered in puff pastry, and passion fruit cream puffs. I guess growing up in California, mango, kiwi, and pineapple aren't all that exotic. My group made savarins soaked in a calvados syrup with quince jelly on top, mango sorbet domes with nougatine, and blood orange cream puffs.

Here are the other groups desserts:






I was really proud of the ice cream dome. Though I have to thank my classmates for making the actual dome, I designed the tuile on top and took care of the plating. This was the first restaurant service where I did plating... yay!







On Thursday we made all sorts of things that involve molds. We made a riz a l'imperatrice (a rice pudding that seems like a cousin to what was made for restaurant service), something else w/ lady fingers, cream, and candied fruits that I can't remember the name of for the life of me, creme caramel, and oeuf a la neige. I guess oeuf a la neige isn't made in a mold, but its poached meringue in creme anglaise.. pretty gross to me, so it might as well have been made out of a mold for all I care. To be honest, this wasn't my week and my desserts were just sort of mediocre, but since I probably won't ever order any of the desserts (aside from the creme caramel), no big loss.







I'm really excited to finish my chocolate sculpture. I hope it'll all come together... with out shattering apart!

No comments: