Monday, May 6, 2013

Madeleines

I'm not sure why, but I've always been drawn to madeleines. I think because they're so small, you never quite feel so guilty indulging, as you would a slice of cake, or even a cupcake. With their nicely scalloped shape, they're the perfect dainty tea cake. I've made madeleines before, as mentioned here, but realized that I never posted the recipe!






What I really enjoy about these cakes is that, similar to cupcakes, they're extremely versatile. Working with a basic recipe, I've been able modify depending on what kind of mood I'm in. My general go-to, which is a definite crowd pleaser, is lemon madeleines with a lemon glaze.



I've toyed with a lot of different variations of madeleines. On a few occasions, I've added chocolate chips to my madeleine batter. Another time I even added a dollop of nutella to the center of each cake. By adding cocoa powder to the batter, I've made chocolate and marbled madeleines. I imagine you could add dried fruit, or preserves as well. The possibilities seem endless.




Madeleines (makes about 30)

Eggs 150g
Sugar 125g
Flour 125g
Baking powder 3g
Butter 100g
Zest of one lemon
Vanilla extract 3g

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees celsius. Melt the butter in the microwave or a saucepan and set aside to cool. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the sifted flour and baking powder. Slowly add the melted butter while whisking on low. Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract. If using metal madeleine pans, brush the pans twice with clarified butter. Fill the molds 2/3 full. Bake the madeleines for approximately 10 minutes or until they are starting to slightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before unmolding from the pan.

No comments: