Monday, May 23, 2011

Millionaire's shortbread

What do you get when you combine shortbread, caramel, and chocolate? Super yummy goodness. Millionaire's shortbread comes from Scottish origins and is also known as caramel shortcake, caramel slice, millionaires slice, and wellington squares. Quite frankly, I don't care what it's called, but it's damn good. If you're a fan of Twix candies, you should definitely give these a try. But be warned, if you eat too many you'll need a millionaire to pay for your lipo or bypass.




Though some have already asked, I won't share the recipe for these squares of sugary bliss (it's coveted by a friend) but a quick Google search will render tons of variations. At the base is shortbread, which on its own is already rich and tasty.


 Next up is the caramel. Anyone who knows me, will attest to my aversion to caramel or any type of molten sugar. Why you ask? Hot sugar is worse than hot oil. Not only will it burn you, but if it's hot enough, trying to get the blasted stuff off will also rip off your skin. Trust me. I know. Every now and then I'll tempt the 3rd-degree burn gods and make myself some caramel. This was one of those days.



Last but not least? Chocolate. I decided to go with some Ghirardelli chocolates. I melted down the chocolate, and once the caramel cooled, poured it over the top. The most difficult part of this recipe was waiting for the shortbread to set. It's a good thing patience pays off.


1 comment:

Joan Pan said...

Ooooooo that's my next project!