Monday, October 4, 2010

Cream puffs and Gougères

Looking back at all my baking done in California lately, its obvious that choux pastry is my 'go to' when someone asks me to make something. They're relatively easy, fail-proof, and impressive. Plus who doesn't like cream puffs? I think I like cream puffs better than eclairs (though they're essentially the same thing) just because they're bite-sized and cute. Plus, I really don't have a good relationship with fondant.



For a small dinner party I made some vanilla pastry cream-filled choux and dipped them in ganache. I also decided to make some gougères as an aperatif. Gougères are savory choux pastry with cheese. Usually gruyère is used, but since I had parmesean on hand, I just threw that in. These little cheesy morsels are sooo good piping hot out of the oven, that people just can't keep their hands off them. I think they disappear even more quickly than cream puffs.



A brief note if you're having a party and want to make these in advance. Like all choux pastry, gougères freeze beautifully well. Just pop them in the oven for 5 minutes to heat them up and you're good to go!

3 comments:

D said...

I just had an idea! These would probably be amazing with some bacon in them... yum.

marypoe said...

Everything is better with bacon in it :) Oh man. Those were really really really good. But then so was my spaghetti!

Katz0001 said...

They all look so good :D My grandfather used to be a pastrychef and he can make the best miniture eclairs- I love them so much! I love your photos, especially the one of the cream puffs. Yummy