Wednesday, September 9, 2009

No one is perfect...

...except maybe our chef. Today was just one of those days. Our kitchen was 20 degrees Celsius instead of an ideal 16, which made it very difficult to roll out a new tart dough recipe we were trying. All I have to say is sweet dough with creme fraiche = FAIL. One of my classmates was nice enough to let me take a picture of her lemon curd tart; how mine should have looked like if it hadn't died.



In general, this dough is very soft and delicate. However, the increase in room temperature made it even more difficult to work with. I returned the dough to the refrigerator several times, which was rather futile; it still cracked and fell apart. It's a tart crust only a waste bin would love. Quite a disaster.



On the other hand, Chef's tarts were perfect. But on hindsight, I think I'd be worried if his tarts were anything BUT perfect. I guess that's why he's the instructor and I'm the student. Oh well, there's always a couple more tarts to make tomorrow.

2 comments:

Justin said...

but did it still taste good?

D said...

My crust tasted fine, but there was no point in filling; there were a half dozen others to sample :)